The following uses for chlorine are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I'd be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses (please use the feedback mechanism to add uses).
- production of safe drinking water the world over. Even the smallest water supplies are now usually chlorinated
- extensively used in the production of paper products, dye stuffs, textiles, petroleum products, medicines, antiseptics, insecticides, foodstuffs, solvents, paints, plastics, and many other consumer products
- most chlorine is used in the manufacture of chlorinated cleaning compounds, pulp bleaching, disinfectants, and textile processing
- manufacture of chlorates, chloroform, carbon tetrachloride
- used for the extraction of bromine
- PVC pipe used to provide safe drinking water