The following uses for nickel are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I would be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses.
- chiefly valuable for the alloys it forms such as stainless steel and other corrosion-resistant alloys
- tubing made of a copper-nickel alloy is extensively used in making desalination plants for converting sea water into fresh water
- used extensively in coinage and in making nickel steel for armour plate and burglar-proof vaults
- nickel added to glass gives a green colour
- nickel plating is often used to provide a protective coating for other metals
- finely divided nickel is a catalyst for hydrogenating vegetable oils