The following uses for phosphorus are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I'd be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses (please use the feedback mechanism to add uses).
- used in the manufacture of safety matches, pyrotechnics, incendiary shells, smoke bombs, tracer bullets, etc.
- phosphates are used in the production of special glasses, such as those used for sodium lamps
- bone-ash, calcium phosphate, is used to produce fine chinaware and to produce monocalcium phosphate used in baking powder
- important in the production of steels, phosphor bronze, and many other products
- Na3PO4 is important as a cleaning agent, as a water softener, and for preventing boiler scale and corrosion of pipes and boiler tubes