Boron - 5B: uses
The following uses for boron are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I would be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses.
- amorphous boron is used in pyrotechnic flares (distinctive green colour), and rockets (as an igniter)
- boric, or boracic, acid, is used as a mild antiseptic
- borax, Na2B4O7.10H2O, is a cleansing flux in welding
- borax, Na2B4O7.10H2O is a water softener in washing powders
- boron compounds are used in production of enamels for covering steel of refrigerators, washing machines, etc.
- boron compounds are extensively used in the manufacture of enamels and borosilicate glasses
- boron compounds show promise in treating arthritis
- 10B is used as a control for nuclear reactors, as a shield for nuclear radiation, and in instruments used for detecting neutrons
- boron nitride is as hard as diamond. It behaves like an electrical insulator, but conducts heat like a metal. It also has lubricating properties similar to graphite
- the hydrides are sometimes used as rocket fuels
- boron filaments, a high-strength, lightweight material, are used for advanced aerospace structures, .
- lightweight compounds used for aerospace structures
- boron filaments used in fibre optics research
- Boric Acid is also used in North America for the control of cockroaches, silverfish, ants, fleas, and other insects.