Boron: biological information
Boron is probably not required in the diet of humans but it might be a necessary "ultratrace" element. Boron is required by green algae and higher plants.
Levels in humans
- Human abundance by weight: 700 ppb by weight
- Human abundance by atoms: 410 atoms relative to C = 1000000
How much boron is in your body? Find out here.
You can use this form to calculate how much boron your body contains. Enter your weight in either kilograms or pounds and click the "Calculate" button. You must enter a number, not text! Elements for which there are no data will always give a value of zero for the weight, no matter what you put in the weight box.
Hazards and Risks
Hazards and risks associated with boron:
Compounds are toxic through accumulation. Boron compounds may be carcinogenic.
- J.E. Huheey, E.A. Keiter, and R.L. Keiter in Inorganic Chemistry : Principles of Structure and Reactivity, 4th edition, HarperCollins, New York, USA, 1993.
- S. Budavari (Ed.) in The Merck Index, 11th ed., Merck, USA, 1989.
- N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw in Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd edition, Butterworth, UK, 1997.