Berkelium - 97Bk: biological information
Berkelium has no biological role.
Levels in humans
The abundances of the elements in humans.
- Human abundance by weight: (no data) ppb by weight
- Human abundance by atoms: (no data) atoms relative to C = 1000000
How much berkelium is in your body? Find out here.
You can use this form to calculate how much berkelium your body contains. Enter your weight in either kilograms or pounds and click the "Calculate" button. You must enter a number, not text! Elements for which there are no data will always give a value of zero for the weight, no matter what you put in the weight box.
Hazards and Risks
Hazards and risks associated with berkelium:
Berkelium does not occur naturally in the biosphere and so normally never presents a risk. Berkelium is studied in a few nuclear research laboratories where its high radioactivity require special handling techniques and precautions. Apparently, berkelium tends to accumulate in the skeletal system and this is highly dangerous because of its radioactivity.
- J.E. Huheey, E.A. Keiter, and R.L. Keiter in Inorganic Chemistry : Principles of Structure and Reactivity, 4th edition, HarperCollins, New York, USA, 1993.
- S. Budavari (Ed.) in The Merck Index, 11th ed., Merck, USA, 1989.
- N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw in Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd edition, Butterworth, UK, 1997.