Tantalum: biological information
Tantalum has no biological role. Possibly some tantalum compounds cause tumours.
Levels in humans
- Human abundance by weight: (no data) ppb by weight
- Human abundance by atoms: (no data) atoms relative to C = 1000000
How much tantalum is in your body? Find out here.
You can use this form to calculate how much tantalum your body contains. Enter your weight in either kilograms or pounds and click the "Calculate" button. You must enter a number, not text! Elements for which there are no data will always give a value of zero for the weight, no matter what you put in the weight box.
Hazards and Risks
Hazards and risks associated with tantalum:
Tantalum compounds are encountered rarely by most people. Tantalum metal does not normally cause problems butin the laboratory, all tantalum compounds should be regarded as highly toxic. Possibly some tantalum compounds cause tumours. The metal dust presents a fire and explosion hazard.
- J.E. Huheey, E.A. Keiter, and R.L. Keiter in Inorganic Chemistry : Principles of Structure and Reactivity, 4th edition, HarperCollins, New York, USA, 1993.
- S. Budavari (Ed.) in The Merck Index, 11th ed., Merck, USA, 1989.
- N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw in Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd edition, Butterworth, UK, 1997.