The following uses for cerium are gathered from a number of sources as well as from anecdotal comments. I'd be delighted to receive corrections as well as additional referenced uses (please use the feedback mechanism to add uses).
- component of misch metal, used in the manufacture of pyrophoric alloys for cigarette lighters, etc.
- the oxide is an important constituent of incandescent gas mantles and is a catalyst in "self-cleaning" ovens. In this application it is incorporated into oven walls to prevent the collection of cooking residues
- the sulphate is used extensively as a volummetric oxidizing agent in quantitative analysis
- used in the manufacture of glass, both as a component and as a decolourizer
- the oxide is used as a glass polishing agent instead of rouge, as it is much faster at polishing glass surfaces
- used in carbon-arc lighting with other rare-earth elements, especially in the motion picture industry
- used as a catalyst in petroleum refining
- metallurgical and nuclear applications