Tantalum - 73Ta: compounds information
This section lists some binary compounds with halogens (known as halides), oxygen (known as oxides), hydrogen (known as hydrides), and some other compounds of tantalum. For each compound, a formal oxidation number for tantalum is given, but the usefulness of this number is limited for p-block elements in particular. Based upon that oxidation number, an electronic configuration is also given but note that for more exotic compounds you should view this as a guide only.
In compounds of tantalum (where known), the most common oxidation numbers of tantalum are: 5.
The term hydride is used to indicate compounds of the type MxHy and not necessarily to indicate that any compounds listed behave as hydrides chemically.
- Ditantalum hydride: Ta2H
- Tantalum trifluoride: TaF3
- Tantalum pentafluoride: [TaF5]4
- Tantalum trichloride: TaCl3
- Tantalum tetrachloride: TaCl4
- Tantalum pentachloride: TaCl5
- Tantalum tribromide: TaBr3
- Tantalum tetrabromide: TaBr4
- Ditantalum decabromide: TaBr5
- Tantalum tetraiodide: TaI4
- Tantalum pentaiodide: TaI5
- Tantalum oxide: TaO
- Tantalum dioxide: TaO2
- Ditantalum pentoxide: Ta2O5
- Tantalum disulphide: TaS2
- Tantalum diselenide: TaSe2
- Tantalum ditelluride: TaTe2
- Tantalum nitride: TaN
- Tantalum hexacarbonyl: Ta(CO)6
- none listed