Rubidium: rubidium hydride
rubidium hydride is known by the following synonyms:
- rubidium hydride
- rubidium(I) hydride
The oxidation number of rubidium in rubidium hydride is 1.
- Formula: HRb
- Hill system formula: H1Rb1
- CAS registry number: [13446-75-8]
- Formula weight: 86.476
- Class: hydride
- Colour: white
- Appearance: crystalline solid
- Melting point: 170°C (decomposes)
- Boiling point:
- Density: 2600 kg m-3
Rubidium metal reacts directly with hydrogen gas to form the hydride rubidium(I) hydride, RbH.
2Rb(s) + H2(g) → 2RbH(s)
Solid state structure
- Geometry of rubidium: 6 coordinate: octahedral
- Prototypical structure: NaCl (rock salt)
Isotope pattern for HRb
THe chart below shows the calculated isotope pattern for the formula HRb with the most intense ion set to 100%.
The data on these compounds pages are assembled and adapted from the primary literature and several other sources including the following.
- R.T. Sanderson in Chemical Periodicity, Reinhold, New York, USA, 1960.
- N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw in Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd edition, Butterworth, UK, 1997.
- F.A. Cotton, G. Wilkinson, C.A. Murillo, and M. Bochmann, in Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Trotman-Dickenson, (ed.) in Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1973.
- R.W.G. Wyckoff, in Crystal Structures, volume 1, Interscience, John Wiley & Sons, 1963.
- A.R.West in Basic solid state chemistry Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Wells in Structural inorganic chemistry, 4th edition, Oxford, UK, 1975.
- J.D.H. Donnay, (ed.) in Crystal data determinative tables, ACA monograph number 5, American Crystallographic Association, USA, 1963.
- D.R. Lide, (ed.) in Chemical Rubber Company handbook of chemistry and physics, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 77th edition, 1996.
- J.W. Mellor in A comprehensive treatise on inorganic and theoretical chemistry, volumes 1-16, Longmans, London, UK, 1922-1937.
- J.E. Macintyre (ed.) in Dictionary of inorganic compounds, volumes 1-3, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1992.