- Formula: CrN
- Hill system formula: Cr1N1
- CAS registry number: [12053-27-9]
- Formula weight: 66.003
- Class: nitride
- Colour: grey
- Appearance: crystalline solid
- Melting point: 1080°C
- Boiling point:
- Density: 5900 kg m-3
The following are some synonyms of chromium nitride:
- chromium nitride
- chromium(III) nitride
The oxidation number of chromium in chromium nitride is 3.
Solid state structure
- Geometry of chromium: 6 coordinate: octahedral
- Prototypical structure: NaCl (rock salt)
The table shows element percentages for CrN (chromium nitride).
Isotope pattern for CrN
The chart below shows the calculated isotope pattern for the formula CrN with the most intense ion set to 100%.
The data on these compounds pages are assembled and adapted from the primary literature and several other sources including the following.
- R.T. Sanderson in Chemical Periodicity, Reinhold, New York, USA, 1960.
- N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw in Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd edition, Butterworth, UK, 1997.
- F.A. Cotton, G. Wilkinson, C.A. Murillo, and M. Bochmann, in Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Trotman-Dickenson, (ed.) in Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1973.
- R.W.G. Wyckoff, in Crystal Structures, volume 1, Interscience, John Wiley & Sons, 1963.
- A.R.West in Basic solid state chemistry Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Wells in Structural inorganic chemistry, 4th edition, Oxford, UK, 1975.
- J.D.H. Donnay, (ed.) in Crystal data determinative tables, ACA monograph number 5, American Crystallographic Association, USA, 1963.
- D.R. Lide, (ed.) in Chemical Rubber Company handbook of chemistry and physics, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 77th edition, 1996.
- J.W. Mellor in A comprehensive treatise on inorganic and theoretical chemistry, volumes 1-16, Longmans, London, UK, 1922-1937.
- J.E. Macintyre (ed.) in Dictionary of inorganic compounds, volumes 1-3, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1992.