Carbon: carbon tetraiodide
carbon tetraiodide is known by the following synonyms:
- carbon tetraiodide
- carbon(IV) iodide
- carbon iodide
The oxidation number of carbon in carbon tetraiodide is 4.
- Formula: CI4
- Hill system formula: C1I4
- CAS registry number: [507-25-5]
- Formula weight: 519.629
- Class: iodide
- Colour: red
- Appearance: solid, crystalline
- Melting point: 171 (decomposes)
- Boiling point: 130
- Density: 4.34 (20°C relative to water at 4°C)
Solid state structure
- Geometry of carbon: 4 coordinate: tetrahedral
- Prototypical structure:
Isotope pattern for CI4
THe chart below shows the calculated isotope pattern for the formula CI4 with the most intense ion set to 100%.
The data on these compounds pages are assembled and adapted from the primary literature and several other sources including the following.
- R.T. Sanderson in Chemical Periodicity, Reinhold, New York, USA, 1960.
- N.N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw in Chemistry of the Elements, 2nd edition, Butterworth, UK, 1997.
- F.A. Cotton, G. Wilkinson, C.A. Murillo, and M. Bochmann, in Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Trotman-Dickenson, (ed.) in Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, Pergamon, Oxford, UK, 1973.
- R.W.G. Wyckoff, in Crystal Structures, volume 1, Interscience, John Wiley & Sons, 1963.
- A.R.West in Basic solid state chemistry Chemistry, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- A.F. Wells in Structural inorganic chemistry, 4th edition, Oxford, UK, 1975.
- J.D.H. Donnay, (ed.) in Crystal data determinative tables, ACA monograph number 5, American Crystallographic Association, USA, 1963.
- D.R. Lide, (ed.) in Chemical Rubber Company handbook of chemistry and physics, CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA, 77th edition, 1996.
- J.W. Mellor in A comprehensive treatise on inorganic and theoretical chemistry, volumes 1-16, Longmans, London, UK, 1922-1937.
- J.E. Macintyre (ed.) in Dictionary of inorganic compounds, volumes 1-3, Chapman & Hall, London, UK, 1992.