Fermium: the essentials
Fermium atoms have 100 electrons and the shell structure is 188.8.131.52.30.8.2. The ground state electronic configuration of neutral fermium is [Rn].5f12.7s2 and the term symbol of fermium is 3H6.
Fermium's chemical properties are largely unknown. Fermium is a radioactive rare earth metal. The longest living isotope is is 257Fm with a half-life of 80 days. It is of no commercial importance.
Fermium: physical properties
- Density of solid: (no data) kg m-3
- Molar volume: (no data) cm3
- Thermal conductivity: 10 (estimate) W m‑1 K‑1
Fermium: heat properties
- Melting point: about 1800 [1527 °C (2781 °F)] K
- Boiling point: (no data) K
- Enthalpy of fusion: 20.5 kJ mol-1
Fermium: atom sizes
- Atomic radius (empirical): (no data) pm
- Molecular single bond covalent radius: 167 (coordination number 3) ppm
- van der Waals radius: (no data) ppm
- Pauling electronegativity: 1.3 (Pauling units)
- Allred Rochow electronegativity: 1.2 (Pauling units)
- Mulliken-Jaffe electronegativity: (no data)
Fermium: orbital properties
- First ionisation energy: 627 (inferred) kJ mol‑1
- Second ionisation energy: 1200 kJ mol‑1
- Third ionisation energy: 2240 kJ mol‑1
- Universe: (no data) ppb by weight
- Crustal rocks: (no data) ppb by weight
- Human: (no data) ppb by weight
Fermium: crystal structure
Fermium: biological data
- Human abundance by weight: (no data) ppb by weight
Fermium has no biological role.
Reactions of fermium as the element with air, water, halogens, acids, and bases where known.
Fermium: binary compounds
Binary compounds with halogens (known as halides), oxygen (known as oxides), hydrogen (known as hydrides), and other compounds of fermium where known.
Fermium: compound properties
Bond strengths; lattice energies of fermium halides, hydrides, oxides (where known); and reduction potentials where known.
Fermium: historyFermium was discovered by Workers at Argonne, Los Alamos, USA, and the University of California at Berkeley, USA. in 1952 at USA. Origin of name: named after "Enrico Fermi".
Isolation: coming soon!