Van der Waals radius: group 11
van der Waals radii are established from contact distances between non-bonding atoms in touching molecules or atoms.
Van der Waals radii may be established from neighbour-neighbour interactions in crystals and from gas critical volumes. Values from tables in different sources differ. Those quoted in WebElements are taken from reference 1 while other marginally different compilations are located in references 2-5. Users of the Chemical Database Service (CDS) at Daresbury who make use of the Cambridge Structural Database System will also find these values reproduced in the "Getting Started" user manual.
- A. Bondi, J. Phys. Chem., 1964, 68, 441.
- L. Pauling, The Nature of the Chemical Bond, Cornell University Press, USA, 1945.
- J.E. Huheey, E.A. Keiter, and R.L. Keiter in Inorganic Chemistry : Principles of Structure and Reactivity, 4th edition, HarperCollins, New York, USA, 1993.W.W. Porterfield in Inorganic chemistry, a unified approach, Addison Wesley Publishing Co., Reading Massachusetts, USA, 1984.
- A.M. James and M.P. Lord in Macmillan's Chemical and Physical Data, Macmillan, London, UK, 1992.
You can buy periodic table posters, mugs, T-shirts, fridge magnets, games, molecular models, and more at the WebElements shop
- Search WebElements
- Search Chemistry Web
- Essential data
- The elements round us
- Compounds: halides, oxides, sulfides, hydrides, and complexes; lattice energies; and reduction potentials
- Reactions of : reactions with air; water; halogens; acids; and bases
- Electronegativities: Pauling; Sanderson; Allred-Rochow; Mulliken-Jaffe; and Allen
- Bond enthalpies of diatomic species
- Lattice energies: oxides and halides
- Element properties
- Physics properties: boiling point; melting point; density; and molar volume; thermal conductivity; and electrical resistivity; bulk modulus; critical temperature; superconductivity temperature; hardness (mineralogical, Brinell, and Vickers); linear expansion coefficient; Poisson's ratio; reflectivity; refractive index; rigidity modulus; Young's modulus; and velocity of sound
- Crystal structure
- Thermochemistry: enthalpies of atomisation, fusion, and vaporisation, thermodynamic properties
- Atom properties
- Electronic properties: electronic configuration; term symbol; electron affinity; ionisation energies; and atomic spectra
- Atom sizes: atomic radii; Shannon and Pauling Ionic radii; covalent radius; metallic radius; element bond length; and Van der Waals radius
- Electron shell properties: effective nuclear charge; electron binding energies; and valence orbital radii maxima
- Nuclear properties
Search Chemistry Web