Atomic radius: period 6sp
Many references give table of atomic radii. Sometimes in text books and other sources, the rather vague term "atomic radius" is not defined and in such cases it is therefore not clear what the values actually mean. The values given here for atomic radius are calculated values using methods outlined in reference 1.
These values for atomic radius are calculated values using self-consistent-field functions (reference 1). You should consult reference 1 for full details, but it is not light reading for most people. There is a correlation between the atomic radii as determined from these calculations and the radii of maximum charge density in the outermost shell of the atom.
- E. Clementi, D.L.Raimondi, and W.P. Reinhardt, J. Chem. Phys. 1963, 38, 2686.
You can buy periodic table posters, mugs, T-shirts, fridge magnets, games, molecular models, and more at the WebElements shop
- Search WebElements
- Search Chemistry Web
- Essential data
- The elements round us
- Compounds: halides, oxides, sulfides, hydrides, and complexes; lattice energies; and reduction potentials
- Reactions of : reactions with air; water; halogens; acids; and bases
- Electronegativities: Pauling; Sanderson; Allred-Rochow; Mulliken-Jaffe; and Allen
- Bond enthalpies of diatomic species
- Lattice energies: oxides and halides
- Element properties
- Physics properties: boiling point; melting point; density; and molar volume; thermal conductivity; and electrical resistivity; bulk modulus; critical temperature; superconductivity temperature; hardness (mineralogical, Brinell, and Vickers); linear expansion coefficient; Poisson's ratio; reflectivity; refractive index; rigidity modulus; Young's modulus; and velocity of sound
- Crystal structure
- Thermochemistry: enthalpies of atomisation, fusion, and vaporisation, thermodynamic properties
- Atom properties
- Electronic properties: electronic configuration; term symbol; electron affinity; ionisation energies; and atomic spectra
- Atom sizes: atomic radii; Shannon and Pauling Ionic radii; covalent radius; metallic radius; element bond length; and Van der Waals radius
- Electron shell properties: effective nuclear charge; electron binding energies; and valence orbital radii maxima
- Nuclear properties
Search Chemistry Web