A question about the bonding of carbon in the diamond.

Carbon is a group four element that it need to gain four electrons to maintain a stable condition, right? In diamond, the carbon in the diamond will form this bond with another carbon to form a giant covalent structure, right?

Then here comes the question: there will always be the tips (carbon that need to gain more electrons to be stable)that need to be form bonding with the other carbon, right? So how will the 'tips' be maintain a stable condition?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Hah hah - in other words,

Hah hah - in other words, you've noticed that all the really *interesting* chemistry happens at surfaces. Full marks!

It's much more complicated though, so you generally don't do any till the 2nd year of university...

There's probably some oxygen bonded on at the surface though, something like that (I don't actually know!)

http//www.feline1.co.uk

Possibly C—H bonds as

Possibly C—H bonds as well?

I do know that it is no easy

I do know that it is no easy to get the answer. My teacher refused to answer me due to this reason...

However, I do want to know! That's why I post it here. Is there anybody that can reply this question surely?

Thank you very much for the replies above. I know little more what my question is about.

At university I did some

At university I did some research into nanotechnology and found the answer to this. The terminal C will be bonded to H atoms. So pure carbon?

Diamonds typically

Diamonds typically crystallize in the face-centered cubic crystal system and consist of tetrahedrally bonded carbon atoms. The tetrahedral arrangement of atoms is the source of many of diamond’s properties. The carbon atoms in Graphite, another form of carbon. display a different (nontetrahedral) connectivity and as a result shows dramatically different physical characteristics: graphite is a soft, dark gray, opaque mineral. Other elements of the carbon group such as silicon crystalize like diamond.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.