Modifications to forums - request for feedback

I'm spending far too long deleting spam posts from Russia and their posters at present. The current software takes too long to update when changes come along since version updates require source code modifications to keep added features working.

I have identified different software that I may switch to over in the next couple of months but I'd like to here what features you like/dislike on the current system, and what features you might like in the future. Please add comments....

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Is it possible to block the ip region of Russia from accessing the forum? :)

Nearly all the aggro is

Nearly all the aggro is coming from Russia but the phpbb banning systems seems weak. The current site is still undergoing what amounts to a denial of service attack but so far so good

Mark, I've just realised that you haven't got the picture recognition system in place.

The other forum I am on, which is phpBB also, had a problem with spam posters. Most of them were just automated bots, which is all you have here at the moment. That problem was fixed with ease. When you register you have to type the letters that you see on the screen. OCR software cannot read the letters, but us clever humans can. If you type in the incorrect letters, you cannot register.

You can use this in combination with the email confirmation system (which is important, to ensure the email address is real). But if you just put that on, you won't need to delete any spam, nor spend any time sorting out a whole new forum and transferring the database.

I'm pretty sure it can be activated from your control panel by just a single click.

I has hacked my theme, which

I has hacked my theme, which included the admin theme, and when captchas came along in phpbb2, captcha options were not being displayed. Lesson: just use default theme for admin stuff!

[quote="UCB Mitch"]Is it possible to block the ip region of Russia from accessing the forum? :)[/quote]

The e-mail address blocker seems pretty average regretably

[quote="allan_chemist"]Mark, I've just realised that you haven't got the picture recognition system in place.

The other forum I am on, which is phpBB also, had a problem with spam posters. Most of them were just automated bots, which is all you have here at the moment. That problem was fixed with ease. When you register you have to type the letters that you see on the screen. OCR software cannot read the letters, but us clever humans can. If you type in the incorrect letters, you cannot register.

You can use this in combination with the email confirmation system (which is important, to ensure the email address is real). But if you just put that on, you won't need to delete any spam, nor spend any time sorting out a whole new forum and transferring the database.

I'm pretty sure it can be activated from your control panel by just a single click.[/quote]

Useful comments and all true, but I can't see the captcha control - maybe it's an add-on.

I've pretty well decided to migrate the board to different software. I have two systems in mind that I'm keen on. I can migrate all posts and users across. Motivated by CONFCHEM which I'm listening in on, and encouraged by Bob Hanson, I've hacked both so that molecules and spectra can be displayed inline using bbcodes and manipulated using Jmol within the forum. Still checking this but I hope to finish this in the next few days.

yeah we just need to DITCH THE SPAM
and replace it with idiot-proof SUBSCRIPTS and SUPERSCRIPTS.

See above and try [H3O]+

See above and try [H[sub]3[/sub]O][sup]+[/sup] using [H[sub]3[/sub]O][sup]+[/sup] or indeed [H<sub>3</sub>O]<sup>+</sup>

[quote="feline1"] idiot-proof SUBSCRIPTS and SUPERSCRIPTS.[/quote]

This works in both candidate softwares

[quote="WebElements"]Useful comments and all true, but I can't see the captcha control - maybe it's an add-on.[/quote]
Admittedly I'm only running phpBB 2.0.13 (I haven't updated it as I haven't let my forum go live yet, but I assume "Enable Visual Confirmation" is an option on the more recent version). But you can see the option on my control panel for Visual confirmation below:

[img]http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/8938/visualconfirmation3dm.jpg[/img]

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.