Standard Electrode Potentials List

We have just been doing alot on galvanic cells and the like in chem class, now i have all these work sheets for it. I get pretty much all the concepts and am doing alright with it except when we right the equations, sometimes the materials listed in the question arent in the electrode potentials table in the book (e.g. platinum), this way i cant do the entire cell potential nor can i figure out which metal is the reductant and which is the oxidant. Can any give me a link for where on web elements or anywhere on the web i can find a very in depth electrode potentials table with lots of materials listed. Our teacher said she would give us the official board of studies one but she hasnt yet and i really need something now. I didnt put this in the homework section because most likely more people will see it here and i think it will be very helpful.

Thanx in advance for anyone with help :).

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Platinum electrode is the common way to speak about an electrode composed of a stick of platinum in an acquous solution. In this case, there is no platinum oxidation, but the surface of the platinum allows the reduction of H+ to H2. So, the actual potential you have to consider is H+/H2, i.e. 0.00 V.
Please quote que specific troublesome cases.

Thankyou for the answer, sorry i didnt give a specific situation, i believe that i can answer the questions now, several are about metal electrodes (which would seem inert) and gases. Do all gases work in this way, because chlorine is the element used in the question in conjunction with the Pt electrode. Thanx for any answers.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.