Experiments

I am trying to find experiments for teaching the periodic table, based on group. I.E., a group of elements reacts "so", while another group does not. Is there anyone who can tell me how to find these experiments?

Thanks.

WizardBill

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I'm not sure what u r asking. Do u mean a reaction that is unique to only one group? I don't think such things are very common; certainly Na and other group 1 metals will react with Cl but almost anything else will as well; what sets group 1 out from all others is that it combines with Cl (and other halogens in a 1::1 ratio where group 2 combines in a 1::2 ratio ie NaCl but MgCl[sub]2[/sub]. On the other hand, group 11 shows replacement of its members; that is if u have Au ions in solution a strip of Ag will displace the Au in ions and Au crystals will form; Cu will displace Ag from solution and Ag crystals will form but Au or Ag will not displace Cu from solutions; this establishes the order of the periodic chart Cu-Ag-Au for group 11; for the halogens, solutions of NaCl, NaBr, and NaI are colorless; if u gently heat them and put F gas in the first solution. it will give NaF (slightly soluble) and liberate green Cl gas which can be sent into NaBr, which will give red-brown gas that can go into NaI which gives black crystals n violet vapor.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.