Silver as an antibacterial... why?
I've become aware recently that silver is an increasingly popular antibacterial/antimicrobial. (Actually, my interest was sparked because I was given a pair of silver-infused ski socks, that apparently will prevent odor with fewer washings... hmm...) I have poked around the web looking for an explanation of this, and while I can find extensive information about its uses and new product developments and regulations, etc., I have found almost nothing regarding [i]why[/i] silver kills bacteria.
So, here's my question: [b]regarding its chemistry and basic biology, why does silver kill bacteria?[/b] Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!