transition metal salt catalysts for luminol experiment

this is for my A2 coursework. i just want to know what transition metal salts would be suitable, as i haven't done any work on them before, and trying to find information on them in a secondary school is quite hard, and the internet is prooving too gigantic a resource for me to sift through with much success!!

also any useful websites would be greatly appreciated as well!

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Ibelieve the catalyst you are looking for is some kind of Iron (Fe) one. Because it is the Fe in blood that catalyses the reaction when this stuff is used at crime scenes, looking for traces of blood.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/luminol.htm

yea i saw that one already. thanks though!

im looking at different catalysts to use to look at the different reaction rates they give for the reaction between luminol and NaOH. one that i have down already (that is suggested from the course guidelines) is potassium hexacyanoferrate(III). i guess that would answer the iron catalyst!

I'm not 100% certain, but it might be that all the catalysts will be Fe(III) compunds, just with different ligands on them [ligands are the things around the iron ion - so the CN- ions in potassium hexacyanoferrate(III)]
The different ligands will make the iron have slightly different properties, which will change the speed of the reacion, I think.

It's been aaaaaages since I did any inorganic Chemistry, sorry :oops:

(What examination board are you taking your A level chemistry with by the way?)

i'm doing OCR Saltars. i'll look into that though. i finally found a source saying that Fe(II) and Cu(II) ions are catalysts of this. i'll be looking if the different salts of these ions have any effect on the rate of reastion as well.

i was wondering about the FE (III) ions though. i've just an investigation into lawn sand using KMnO4 so the Fe ions are still fresh in the mind. might include that in the investigation anyway. might do a prelimonary experiment to find out anyway. this is turning into quite an interesting one! :D

OK - i have another query regarding luminol - is there any way in which the colour of the light given out can be varied? this is a possible physics coursework (the chemistry dept. is quite happy, because then they don't have to pay for all of the luminol! £25 for 5g???) so websites with a few equations, or if you know them well enough for me to quote you, then you'll have a new best friend :D

Cathy xxx

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.