the bond betwen F2 and CL2

the covalent bond in F2 is shorter then in CL2. why is it then that it's strength is smaller and so is its boiling point?

and is the reason for the boiling point only - van der walls?

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

the lone pairs! won't somebody please think of the lone pairs for a change?!?

I've heard the lone pair argument before as well. But, it just doesn't seem to be enough of an effect to cause the behavior to me.

not lone pairs - my inorganic tutor would kill me for using that A level answer.
Core electron overlap - the F[size=8]2[/size] bond is so short that the core (1s) electron orbitals overlap, so they repel each other slightly, making it a weaker bond!

aw? would overlapping 1s orbitals not allow them to 'hybridize' with the 2s and 2px and make a *stronger* bond? :P

Hybridization doesn't make a stronger bond. There is no energy difference between atomic orbitals and hybridized orbitals.

it's electrostatic repulsion

[quote="allan_chemist"]it's electrostatic repulsion[/quote]

Isn't everything in chemistry elecro- related? I doubt gravity plays a role. :wink:

Flourine is more electronegative than chlorine and also the atomic radius of flourine is smaller than that of chlorine so they have to be closer to even bond in the first place!

[quote="Dudeman1"]Flourine is more electronegative than chlorine and also the atomic radius of flourine is smaller than that of chlorine so they have to be closer to even bond in the first place![/quote]
Indeed, and that is why F[size=8]2[/size] has a shorter bond length than Cl[size=8]2[/size].

And the reason F[size=8]2[/size] has a weaker bond is because it has a shoter bond length, being small enough for both the cor orbitals to overlap which causes great repulsion.

nice. :D

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.