atomic structure

Why the lowest energy level in the atomic structure K and not A. What is the rationale behind.

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

the reason that the lowest energy level (so I've been told!) is named K, and not A, is that when this theory was "invented" noone knew whether this infact was the lowest or if there were lower energylevels. They chose to play it safe, and name it so that there was room for 10 lower energy levels (a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j).

Doesn't K stand for something though?

Like s,p,d & f orbitals are all names (can't remember what now though) - names that relate to the appearance of their spectra, I think.

Sharp
Principle
Diffuse
Fine
then it piked G cos it was next in the alphabet! 8)

[quote="feline1"]Sharp
Principle
Diffuse
Fine
then it piked G cos it was next in the alphabet! 8)[/quote]
But, what about "K"?

[quote="UCB Mitch"][quote="feline1"]Sharp
Principle
Diffuse
Fine
then it piked G cos it was next in the alphabet! 8)[/quote]
But, what about "K"?[/quote]
Something in my head is screaming "GERMAN!!!"

But there are a lot of German words beginning with K :?

common, let us treat this problem seriously. provide factual reference tosupport your answer.[/quote]

[quote="reuben"]common, let us treat this problem seriously. provide factual reference tosupport your answer.[/quote]

huh? :shock:

'common' is the incorrect way of typing the abbreviation "c'mon", or "c'm on"
ie "come on"

If we were to give serious answers, you'd probably get none at all, because nobody here seems to know :(

My answer *IS* the original of the principle orbital type letters!

But I do not know where K L M N ... comes from.
I've always wondered.
Is it on wikipedia? :lol:

Then, thankyou for providing the answer for a question not asked. :roll:

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.