Boric Oxide

pls i'll apreciate it if someone helps me with this qestion:
The non-metal, CO_2, reacts with the metal oxide, CaO, to give CaCO_3. Would you expect Boric Oxide to react similarly with CO_2? pls explain your answer.thanks.

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I think this posting belongs in homework; basically (no pun intended) metallic oxides function as bases and non-metallic oxides serve as acids; CaO then is a base and CO[sub]2[/sub] is an acid, so you get an acid-base reaction and CaCO[sub]3[/sub]; both CO[sub]2[/sub] and B[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]3[/sub] serve as acids; dissolved in three parts of water to one of oxide, you get boric acid, which doesn't have much affinity for carbonic acid (the alleged mixture of CO[sub]2[/sub] and H[sub]2[/sub]O.

If, on the other hand you dumped your boric oxide into NaOH, you would get sodium borate (borax): 2NaOH + 2B[sub]2[/sub]O[sub]3[/sub] > Na[sub]2[/sub]B[sub]4[/sub]O[sub]7[/sub] + H[sub]2[/sub]O because the boric oxide acts as an acid to react with the basic sodium hydroxide.
:)

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.