Can anyone clarify what the Diatomic Elements. . .

. . .do. Why are they called Diatomic elements? Is their an easy way to remeber them? Just found this site seems pretty cool.

Robert

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Have (hydrogen,H) No

Have (hydrogen,H)
No (nitrogen,N)
Fear (fluorine,F)
Of (oxygen,O)
Ice (iodine,I)
Cold (chlorine,Cl)
Beverages (bromine,Br)

The halogens are all diatomic elements. (if i am not wrong)

As is H[size=8]2[/size], O[size=8]2[/size], N[size=8]2[/size]

use the term, BrINClHOF (brinclhof)
Br2, I2, N2, Cl2, H2, O2, F2.

Bromine, Iodine, Nitrogen, Chlorine, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Fluorine.

[b]HON[/b]-est [b]Halogens.[/b]

Hydrogen
Oxygen
Nitrogen

and the others from Group VII.

Fluorine
Chlorine
Bromine
and Iodine

(sadly At does not hang around too long)

Not including At, there are seven of them, and they make up a [i]seven[/i] like pattern in the periodic table.

Thank you guys for the reply's.

Robert

Diatomic Elements

My teacher is awesome and gave us a great anagram to remember the diatomic elements...here goes!

H - Horses
N - Need
O - Oats
F - For
Cl - Clear
Br - Brown
I- eyes (I's)

The list is Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Fluorine, Chlorine, Bromine and Iodine. Pretty cool huh? :D
I love this stuff!!!

There seems to be lots of different ways of remembering which elements are diatomic...so does this mean it is a common thing that students are supposed to revise?

Just thinking back to my schooling days, I can honestly say I never memorised which elements were diatomic. I'm pretty sure I knew, because I don't remember revising it, which must mean I was told. But it was never something that was examined on...
Is it something you are made to revise because you will be tested on?
Is this a UK thing too (I notice one of you was fro Scotland, suggesting this to be the case)?
Feline1 will know!

Aye, I don't recall lists of diatomic elements being "drilled into us" to be learnt by rote -
but I concur that it was just a bit of a trivial thing that I found myself knowing anyway, without having to learn it.

Doesn't mercury for diatomic units in some circumstances? Hg[sub]2[sub][sup]2+[/sup]

cadmium can also be coaxed into it?

And I seem to recall that in the gallium (an element with some of the daftest physical properties) has an unusally short Ga-Ga bond length in the solid metal matrix in one direction,
which ends up as (Ga-Ga) "molecules" in the gas phase?
or am I dreaming?

if you'd have asked me that 4 months ago, I would have known.
But I've passed those exams now, and don't need to remember any of it for my research project, so it was promptly forgotten about :D

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.