Indium sulfate: industrial chemical, not dietary supplement

Indium sulfate is being marketed as the newest miracle dietary supplement. On the Web Elements Indium page, under biological information, the statement is made that "Indium has no biological role. In small doses it is said to stimulate the metabolism." but under hazards and risks, the statement "All indium compounds should be regarded as highly toxic. Indium compounds damage the heart, kidney and liver, and may be teratogenic." The second statement is consistent with the research I have done in the past few days. The first statement is consistent only with the highly suspect claims of the marketers. I strongly recommend that the statement that "it is said to stimulate the metabolism" be deleted from this page, as the only stimulation I have been able to find is that it makes membranes rigid by peroxidating them, and stimulates the cellular uptake of chromium, zinc, manganese and copper. Thank you.

Judith Ditkowsky, Chemistry teacher (retired)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

What common

What common industrial/petroleum chemical has a sickeningly sweet smell? It smells like sweet like maple syrup. You may have smelt it before in some industrial areas. What chemical is this?

I just got off the phone

I just got off the phone with George Bonadio, the man who first discovered the value of Indium as a mineral supplement. He first realized its value to mammals when he studied a paper written by Dr. Henry Schroder where he noticed that in tests on rodents, those that were given Indium had lower cancer rates than the control group. He began taking small amounts of it and noticed several benefits. He gave it to other family members and friends. This was about 1978 or earlier. His first patent on the use of Indium as a mineral supplement was in 1978 and he experimented with it for awhile before applying.
The thrust of this thread is that Indium is not only not a useful mineral supplement, but that it is dangerous. George is now over 90 years old. He has been taking it continuously for over 42 years. He told me that whenever people ask how old he is, he asks them to first guess his age. He said that the average was around 70. He seems to be in good generally good condition. He does use a hearing aid and his memory is weak. But his voice sounds very vigorous. I would think that if Indium was harmful, the harm would have shown up on George a long time ago.

best wishes, Howard Davis

So...if indium is supposed to

So...if indium is supposed to be so bad (and I must admit, looking at it coldly from a purely logical standpoint, it appears indeed to be), and the FDA and other organisations are supposedly there to protect people's health, then why hasn't it been banned and every manufacturer of it as a supplement been prosecuted and shut down?
I don't get it.
While there appear to be quite a few personal reports to its benefits, there is no HARD evidence backing it up, and the claims made seem very far-fetched.
Yet, it's been sold as a supplement for years.
Why is it still being sold then? Answer me that.

Funny, arsenic is a compound

Funny, arsenic is a compound that is extremely dangerous to humans but is an essential element along with phosphorus. I wonder if arsine or phosphine are essential, heck they sound the same as the aforementioned elements... Lots to consider and think about. Keep and open mind, you are sounding like the medieval Roman Catholic Church in your steadfastness.

It seems to me, after

It seems to me, after reading all these post, emotion not fact or logic is the determining factor here. If we can be brutally honest, melecular biologist and chemist have never had the tools our modern age provides them. Sooner or later compounds thought to have no value will resurface in a new light, Let me speak from my experience.
Having worked in research I've met many exceptional people in my day. Please keep in mind of the "trace" compounds we come in contact with all the time. From the preservatives in our food to soaps, detergents, additives to the water we bathe in and so on. To date I am not aware of any study that has encompassed all these elements into one concise scientific paper.
This subject of longer healthier lives reveals our human nature and is why I find it fascinating. It is in our nature to hope and in many places on earth this hope is packaged then pandered to the general public.
The truth of the matter in this subject is, we currently don't know. To begin with, not everyones bio-chemistry is exactly the same and no large unbiased scientific studies I am aware of have empbraced this concept of "trace minerals" and there benefits,(outdside of a small group who's clinical implications cannot be factored). Other scientific disciplines have revisited past assumptions and revised there point of view so it is possible we have missed something. Another unknown is the "quality" of modern human DNA and the effects upon the body our modern age has caused.
As someone who approaches all things with the understanding that not all is understood, I am more concerned with the freedom of people to pursue there individual hopes and treatments. If we continue to politicize our "individual" rights in this area, the only winners will be government and the pharma-coms.
Avarice trumps generosity as a rule. Oh by the way, the person who made the plutonium comment aobviously is unaware of the radioactive elements used in everyday things, such as wrist watches.
We exist in a great era of awakenings. As or ability to sense and measure our world reaches smaller and smaller scales it is our responsibility not to allow fear to overcome reason. In my humble opinion we are asking the wrong questions. If some people claim no results and others claim amazing outcomes, should science sit on the sidelines while snake oil and willows bark are peddled in there new forms?
Let reason guide us and science educate us without fear or greed distracting us from what is truly important, to benefit all humanity, not just fill the coffers of the already well off.

Respectfully
Fred H.

What common

What common industrial/petroleum chemical has a sickeningly sweet smell? It smells like sweet like maple syrup. You may have smelt it before in some industrial areas. What chemical is this?

INDIUM improved average

INDIUM improved average Mineral absorption in the glands 142%; raised Chromium in all organs average 333%,Indium may improve alimentary assimilation of food and Mineral supplements.The past 30 years, suggest INDIUM normalizes the master glands Pituitary-hypothalamus and Pineal- directing 40 Endocrine gland systems, balancing 31 Hormones naturally, including Human Growth Hormone, DHEA, Melatonin, many steroids, & thyroid hormones.INDIUM is reported to improve sense of well-being, mood, thinking, memory.When it has so many chemicals whats the side effect are we going to have from it?
antidepressants

Reported by whom?

Reported by whom? Responsible sources claim indium has no biological activity, even as a trace element. There are a lot of quacks out there who make absurd, unsupported assertions regarding the usefulness of everything from soup to nuts. If indium had such a phenomenal benefit, then the few places in the world where indium is found as a trace element would show clusters of abnormally healthy people just as places in which a higher concentration of fluorine in the drinking water was the norm showed fewer incidents of tooth decay.

Indium is a sulphate which

Indium is a sulphate which helps in metabolism,this is a chemical which involves high pressure.

body ripped supplements

INDIUM improved average

INDIUM improved average Mineral absorption in the glands 142%; raised Chromium in all organs average 333%,Indium may improve alimentary assimilation of food and Mineral supplements.The past 30 years, suggest INDIUM normalizes the master glands Pituitary-hypothalamus and Pineal- directing 40 Endocrine gland systems, balancing 31 Hormones naturally, including Human Growth Hormone, DHEA, Melatonin, many steroids, & thyroid hormones.INDIUM is reported to improve sense of well-being, mood, thinking, memory.When it has so many chemicals whats the side effect are we going to have from it?
antidepressants

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.