Need help with a chem lab!

Im doing a lab about learning to make predictions using the periodic table. I'm comparing four compounds from groups 1 and 2: magnesium carbonate, sodium carbonate, potassium carbonate and calcium carbonate.. mixing them all with water and i guess trying to find the similarities with the properties and reactions. They are all white powders but I'm not sure if my reactions are correct.

i am doing the same with four compounds from group 6 and 7 (or 16 and 17). copper (II) oxide, copper (II) chloride, copper (II) bromide and copper (II) sulfide.

I am also suppose to be noting which are soluable or not, but some in group one/two are and are not and same for group 6/7. so im a little lost. if you can help i would greatly appreciate it and since i may have made this a bit confusiing, basically i really need to know how can we use the periodic table to make predictions??

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I did this same experiment last week,

As you go across the table to the right, from group I to group II, you should notice that it loses reactivity,this is due to it ionization energy which changes as more protons and nuetrons are addes, causeing the electron shell to be further apart, and prone to reactivity,
Ie, when they react with water, group I is the strongest reaction,
AS you go down the rows the reactivity increases, as K(i) is more reactive than Na, as you saw ion the experiment,
That is what it is doing, teaching you to understand why this is happening, although they won't probab;y tell you that it is because of the electron distance, more so they will say the ionization energy, which is resultant

Hope this helps

all the answers are at
[url]www.synthetikal.com[/url]

syn

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.