Who can memorize the whole periodic table?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Of course if you don't read anything or lose it, then you know nothing. Consider that the American Constitution is written down but generally unread and see what they have -- a convicted felon as president.

I know I can memorize the reactivity series using the main elements you need to know, but I dont have the time or paticience to learn the whole table

nobody is really willing to in fact... but some would...

When I was doing my degree I made up a piece of nonsense verse which nailed the first four lines and went something like

H(igh)he
Li(e)beb C(a)nofnee,
Namgal Sipsclar;
K(ay)Case Tiv Cr(o)m(a)nfe, Conicuzn Ga(y)geas Sebrok(e)r;

where the stuff in brackets helped the pronunciation.

After that, with a knowledge of the groups, I could fill the bulk of the table in (I didn't bother with all the Lanthanides or Actinides). I have to say, both as a student and a teacher, being able to write out the PT is probably the most powerful learning aid in Chemistry.

For some reason, "who" = H; not all words give both element letters, just the first. So a degree of proper memory is required:

[b]First Rows:[/b]
Who Here Listens (to) B B C News On Friday Nights

[b]d-block (no Zn):[/b]
Science Teachers Verily Cannot Marry For Country Nor Currency
Young Zelots Never Move To Rude Rhythmns; Play Another CD!
Lance Happily Takes Wills, Read Or Iterated Placed Against Houses
Refining Databases Segmented Bohrs Highest Mountain

[b]La and Ac:[/b]
Chemists Practically Need Permanent Smiling Enthusiasm, Good Tables (&) Dyson Hoovers Every Time Yobs Lurk
Then Perhaps (you'll) Understand Non-Polar Punt Ambulences Coming Back Carefully Escaping From Mad Northern Lars

I forgot Rb, Sr, Cs & Ba regularly, so I remembered "Cease Rubies Straight Back" (clockwise)
S, Se, Te I remembered as a progression of letters

I always had to put Ga ang Ge straight after the 1st TM row; I can never remember them going down their groups.

Other than that, the rest were just remembered.

I think it's better to try remembering one group downwards. (He, Ne, Ar, Kr...)

Each to his own ;)

I remember most of the rest downwards, but with my mild dyslexia, just memorising 109 letter combinations needs some assistance.

Everybody needs some assistance if you've to remember all elements...

unfortunately I don't have any assistant :cry:

roll Omigosh!I dont know why they'd not give the periodic table durin' exams, but thanks guuys, I will never go to Oxford atleast!

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.