Europium chloride formation without chlorine gas (I'm lazy)

I have somewhat of a stupid question which I imagine I could answer with about 5 minutes of research, but I'd like to ask the group for their opinion, nonetheless. I'm working on the formation of a Europium based vitamin/coordination-compound. Europium (for those who aren't familiar), reacts very quickly with air AND water, and therefore my previous projects with powdered metallic Europium have been done in a dry box of Argon. But for my current biochemical project, I would like to start with EuCl3 (just a preference, I can get it to work other ways as well by stabbing in the dark a few times).

I'm lazy, and don't want to go through the trouble of buying chlorine gas. I've spent enough money on my Argon/Nitrogen/Oxygen, and their respective tanks. So my initial thought was "Oh, I'll just submerse the sample into a chlorinated solution...BUT WAIT! It will react with the water, ruining the sample". My question is: how would you suggest I expose the Europium to chlorine for the formation of EuCl3 WITHOUT the use of aqueous solution or me having to buy pure chlorine gas? Thank you for your input.

Kind Regards,
Guenther

PS: I'm also looking for a supplier of dimethylglyoxime and, of course, pyridine. If anyone wants to get rid of like 100mL / 30grams (small quantities, basically), I'll take it off your hands. Or if you can recommend a supplier, even through Ebay or whatnot, that'd help me out a bunch. Thanks again.

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I'm using all of my dimethylglyoxime (which i get in kilo quantities to precipitate palladium

Seriously, Alfa Aesar (www.alfa.com) probably has the best bulk rates for dimethylglyoxime. Try them.

Yeah, I had an account with Alfa not too long ago; but I'm at a residential address, and they recently informed me that they could no longer ship items to such an address. (It was a large order of Bromine that I think led them to that decision). I'll write them about it. I agree that they have good prices on certain items. I would use them for elemental metals mostly, and I was happy with the quality and value.

I think it's BS that all the companies won't allow materials to be shipped to residential addresses. How the hell are independent researchers supposed to do ANYTHING!? I work a number of jobs, and spend a good portion of my income on project supplies...but it's such a b**** to get a hold of the stuff I need. That's why I resort to Ebay; it at least lets me find stores/people that don't care or are out of the country.

I think that by requiring all research to be warranted by a University or Corporation, we are severley hindering all sorts of progress. Universities turn down all proposals that aren't in the specific interest of the faculty, or that won't ensure a Nobel Prize. I've had my Europium projects turned away repeatedly, and it's all very intriguing stuff that has yet to have a single thing published on it. And Corporate sponsored research is clearly limited to the scope of the company. Chemical suppliers just need to have individuals sign a disclaimer saying "I'm not from Afghanastan, I'm not a psycho, and I'm not Michael Jackson, so give me my chemicals".

I apologize for getting on my soap-box. I appreciate your suggestion, nonetheless.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.