Elements in Titanium

Hi

Iam new to this forum as you might have guessed. Iam working on a turbine engine project and came across a problem that I think this forum and Its members will be able to clear for me. Someone said to me that Titanium is a good insulater from heat and as a Toolmaker we've taken metallurgy. This statement got me thinking. I was under the impression that Titanium was a good conducter of heat! Can someone please explain this to me?

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Well, titanium is a metal,
and metals are generally excellent conductors of heat!

Best thing to do would be to look up its thermal conductivity and compare it to the equivalent values for other materials such as steel, copper and sulphur lol

on the other hand, oxides of metals are notoriously bad conductors of heat; ZrO[sub]2[/sub] is frequently used as a refractory; TiO[sub]2[/sub] although more often used as a white pigment could be used for this purpose and someone might not have been clear on the difference between metallic Zr and a refractory oxide.

Titanium Elements

Thanks for the info.

Relatively speaking, Ti and TiO2 are poor conductors of heat. Where Ti has a conductivity around 17 W/m*K, TiO2 is around 6. 17 is very low even for a metal. Steel is considered low at 50 W/m*K, where Copper and Silver are 400-550 W/m*K.

Granted, this should be expected, as metals used for their strength (steels, Ti) are Body Centered Cubic (crystal structure) which is a strong type crystal, but electrons have trouble moving through the crystals; make for poor conductors of electrons (electrical and thermal conductivity values are low)

Then, throwing in alloys into Ti, this usually lowers electrical and thermal values even more (even more blockages for the flow of electrons). BTW, I think they use a Zr superalloy in turbines, as the surface layer of ZrO2 is an outstanding refractory (protective coating), and in the alloy helps maintain strength at elevated temps.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.