calling all chemistry buffs

What pure elements have toxic fumes when burned?
...or better yet...
Which elements fumes aren't toxic when inhaled?

to the winner goes pride points :lol:

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Hydrogen

good call.
but, remember to specify whether it is/isn't toxic!
thank you, scarf!

Oxygen is non-toxic when inhaled; try it sometime; Arsenic forms a toxic oxide when burned; don't try that.

Nitrogen oxides can have *hilarious* consequences...

You generally need lightning to get nitrogen 'burning' though wink

carbon monoxide is highly toxic and dangerous as it bonds to the haemoglobin in your red blood cells;
carbon dioxide is rather more innocuous but of course you will still suffocate if there's too much of it around - for instance, if you are locked in an airtight room by an evil villain with meglomaniac plans to take over the world.

[quote="Martin17"]Oxygen is non-toxic when inhaled; try it sometime; **** forms a toxic oxide when burned; don't try that.[/quote]

Actually, oxygen IS toxic when inhaled - google oxygen toxicity and you will get over 900 khits.

I suppose you could say that triplet oxygen (a di-radical, effectively) can harm your body a bit.
Which is why we must consume our anti-oxidants (Vit. C, Tea etc)

calling something which is essential to life "toxic" is like calling a turnip an ironing-board.

[quote="feline1"]calling something which is essential to life "toxic" is like calling a turnip an ironing-board.[/quote]

Try it at your own risk - pant fast and deeply for a few minutes. First you will feel ants in your fingertips, than you will get uncontrolled muscle spasms. Stop panting and it will go away in a few minutes. That's only beginning of the oxygen poisoning. If you will be forced to inhale pure oxygen - especially under higher pressure than atmospheric - you have no chances to survive, it is only a matter of time. Ask any scuba diver.

YEah, and you can drown if you hold your head under water for 6 hours whilst hitting yourself on the head with a hammer.

[quote="feline1"]YEah, and you can drown if you hold your head under water for 6 hours whilst hitting yourself on the head with a hammer.[/quote]

Doing what you propose is dangerous without doubt. The fact that oxygen can be dangerous is not obvious. Quite a few people died before the oxygen poisoning was properly understood. Probably most of them reacted to the information that oxygen can be toxic just like you. People are still dying due to oxygen toxicity - but as I understand that's just a funny thing to you.

Check:
http://www.tdive.com/thinkingcap/safety/o2poisoning.html
http://www.rescuediver.org/med/o2-pos.htm

or

http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/DiverMole/DMDanger.htm - and look for Ian Swift and Keith Milburn.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.