What do you think is the 'coolest' element?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Probably the group 1 metals, starting up at the theoretical element 119 (if that somehow was exposed to water I dread to think of the results). After seeing the effects of caesium in a glass container of water today...

[quote="JJEdwards"]Probably the group 1 metals, starting up at the theoretical element 119 (if that somehow was exposed to water I dread to think of the results). After seeing the effects of caesium in a glass container of water today...[/quote]

If I ever make it, I'll let you know. ;)

liquid oxygen

(come on is rocket fuel) and the best thing if u freeze something in it and try to ignite u will have to run very fast lol :roll:

[quote="marcs1268"]liquid oxygen

(come on is rocket fuel) and the best thing if u freeze something in it and try to ignite u will have to run very fast lol :roll:[/quote]
We had a lecture once where a VERY big lump of cotton wool was dunked in a big tub of liquid oxygen, then ignited.

The resulting blast managed to open the doors at the rear of the lecture theatre a little, and probably damage a few ear drums in the process, lol

Niobium- great body jewelry, and it oxidizes to become all rainbow colored or blue instead of a dull gray or gold; it's hypoallerginic (if you're allergic to gold even) and looks just plain cool.

I still think it should be columbium, Cb

hoppered bismuth. I think it's actually bismuth oxide, but nothing looks cooler then that.

Coolest Element?

Oxygen-combines with most other elements, is essential for most life, as we know it, produces heat and light, which is necessary for our existance on this planet. wink paulito.

coolest element?

I am into the word - "gadolinium". My kids were in their teens before they found out that everyone else didn't shout "GADOLINIUM!!!" when they hit their thumb with a hammer.

Titanium, I'd say. Other than that, tungsten, iridium or platinum. Niobium's very cool too.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.