TITANIUM

[size=18][u][i][b][color=red]WHY ISN'T TITANIUM USED IN LARGE QUANTITIES?[/color][/b][/i][/u][/size]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Used for what?

For making cushions?

Because it is too hard and uncomfortable!

Titanium is very expensive to manufacture. It cannot be subjected to an oxygen atmosphere at all, while at elevated temperatures. I don't think they have sucessfully found a castable Ti alloy, so it must be forged / stamped etc $$$$. (Casting is a cheap way to rapidly process metals) Very difficult to weld as well. Lots of reasons....

Its not so much because Ti raw materials are expensive, the cost is all in processing. Aluminum use to be very expensive, but now a days they've gotten around the processing difficulties.

Correction-
82%Ti 5%Al 5%V 5%Mo 3%Cr is being evaluated by Boeing as a castable Ti alloy. 90%Ti 6%Al 4%V is a standard castable alloy (but its properties suck), so Ti is castable.

Titanium picks up oxygen and becomes brittle. Brittle is bad. Ti is also really hard, so its $$$$ to machine into parts (bend, roll, mill, all the fun metal forming stuff).

I'm sure in the future it will become economical, just like carbon fiber. Until that day we are stuck with plain old steels, aluminums, and fiberglass.

I still may get a Ti wedding band, though they cannot be resized (can't weld them with conventinal techniques if at all). I love the deep gray color of Ti that you just can't get with the more lusterous precious metals. Plus it won't scratch and wear like platinum alloys (my jewler said he can't polish Ti rings as they are too hard).

Here is an interesting link on Ti published by ASM
www.itponline.com/index_files/ASMarticle.pdf

You can find Ti alloys on ebay...check it out!

Titanium actually is used in large quantities

High-end bicycles for the U.S. market all boast frames built from titanium tubing. Bicycle components such as cranks, pedal, handle bars, seat post, saddle rails, bottom bracket spindles, etc. are more and more drawn from titanium alloyed with vanadium. Yet it appears that the bicycle industry is likely the only branch of
manufacturing that can experience a return on cost when working with this material.

BTW Russian submarines are built with skins of titanium. Welders have to wear diving suits, for the product they are working on is submerged in argon gas - titanium "catches fire" when exposed to high temperatures in the presence of nitrogen or oxygen, i.e. "air."[/i]

Well when you say Titanium, Ti is used all over the place. Its just a rarity to find it as a metal. I bet Rutile/Anatase (TiO2) are used more often than Ti metal. Pretty much any white paint/pigment is dyed with TiO2. Think its even in toothpaste and makeup. Also used in large quantities as cool new coatings on "self-cleaning" windows. I saw the process from melting/batching of glass to cut sheets (Pella Windows). Definitly worth the 3 hr drive.

TiN is used in significant amounts as a wear resistant coating. If you ever see a drill bit that is a gold color, yup TiN. My school's formula car has a Ti differential gear w/ a TiN coating. Going on 2 years old, where the old plain Ti gears wore out about 4 times a year. Great stuff!

the Z06 corvette has a Ti muffler system, which saved about 40 lbs or so from the rolled steel/stainless steel muffler. My golf clubs have Ti inserts on the club face, though I must admitt, I still suck.

In other words, Ti is used alot more than you think, but in niche spots here and there.

You never SEE pure metal in front of your eyes in daily life. Not even Iron and Aluminium. What you see is only chromium oxide or iron (2)(3) oxide and aluminium oxide that sticks to the metal to act as passive protection.

Ask for more from an engineer, not an alchemist or chemist.

titaium also melts at a higher temperature then iron which means that it takes more energy to extract and cast titanium.

I bet Aluminum production uses more energy than both of those metals. Thats why Aluminum recycling is encouraged much more than any piece of trash. Aluminum use to cost more than gold back in the day..............

in 1884 they made an aluminum statue of Eros and it cost a lot of $$$$,
that was before they used electrolysis to mass produce it

Titanium can be extracted by heating with carbon. Aluminium has to be extracted by electrolysis (the most costly way)

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.