MagnesiumX

Anyone who can tell me, the chemical formulary, for the black ion compound, that magnesium is "producing" in "normal" air?

Yours truly
Christian

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

If by that you mean
"What happens if I take a lump of pure Mg and place it in the air?"

Then your answer would be it develops a layer of MgO - Magnesium Oxide

No not magnesium oxide, because Magnesium oxide is white. You know when you burn magnesium; you will get a white material, which is magnesium oxide. The black powder is CO2. The powder that I am looking for is the powder on for example a magnesium stick. If you have ever tried to look at a magnesium stick you will know, that there are some black marks on it.

Thanks anyway
:) [/list]

I was wondering if you can

I was wondering if you can use Magnesium oxide for anything or if its just there and nothing can be done with it.

if you dissolve it in water,

if you dissolve it in water, you get magnesium hydroxide aka milk of magnesia. it has many uses.

The tarnish on freshly cut Mg is probably traces of MgS which in larger quantities is a reddish-brown powder.

Yeah

I stole some Mg from to school lab. Burn it at home, it will be fun. :lol:

Be careful, magnesium gives off UV light when burning, if it doesen't explode from just the moisture in the air.

I've never known magnesium to explode, but be careful when burning it; aside from being very hot, the UV light can blind you.

Woops, I meant catch on fire.

Try throwing burning Magnesium metal into water. That will make it REALLY explode. Obviously, only do this having completed all the nessicairy safety assessments.

People often ignore the warnings about UV radiation, especially with thermite reactions. DON'T LOOK INTO THE FLAME!

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.