Francium & Water?

Hi,

Could anyone tell me if there are any video files anywhere on the web which show the reaction between Francium and Water?

I know Francium is extremely rare, but has the reaction ever been recorded in a video file such as *.avi or *.wmv?

Thanks in advance.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

not to my knowledge.

Has francium ever even been isolated in visible amounts?

Isn't it one of these elements that's so radioactive, that if you had
enough to see, it'd probably kill you?

Nobody has ever seen Francium. The most they've ever been able to "make" is a couple hundred million atoms which is nowhere close to being visible. It is INTENSELY radioactive and if a visible amount did exist, it would kill anybody close enough to videotape it. (And the radiation would probably expose all the film as well).

Bah, francium is no fun at all!

Talks itself up big as being the most reactive and spectacular alkali metal,
but when it comes to the crunch, it's nowhere to be seen. lol

Francium like radium is radioactive, but small, visible quantities are not that dangerous. In 1996 about 10,000 atoms were synthesized at SUNY Stonybrook and videotaped in a magnetic confinement container. They constituted a sphere about 1 mm in diameter. The longest lived isotope of Fr has a half-life of 23 minutes.

Francium had never been isolated to a bare-eye visible amount. Therefore videos are not taken. However, that should look like Cesium in water. That can be sone easily as Cesium has a few stable isotopes.

Heh. 10,000 atoms is NOT a visible sample. :P :D (At least to the naked eye it's not).

perhaps the eye should put some clothes on then. :P

10 000 atoms makes a millimetre?!?

I think Mr Avogadro might disagree! -)

[quote="feline1"]10 000 atoms makes a millimetre?!?

I think Mr Avogadro might disagree! :-)[/quote]
yea, even if it appears in gas,
it would be about 91.314 nm in diameter only...
( if I didn't make any mistake... )

this is how I count the diameter...
please correct me if I'm wrong...

volume = 24( 10000 ) / 6.02e23 dm? = 3.98671 dm?
3.98671 dm? = 398671 nm?
volume = (4/3)(pi)r?
radius = (3(volume)/4(pi))^(1/3)
= (3(398671)/4(22/7))^(1/3)
= 45.657nm
diameter = radius x 2 = 45.657nm x 2 = 91.314nm

is this correct? lol

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.