Natural Elements

[/b][color=indigo][/color][size=24][/size] Where can I find a list of just the natural elements and is there any site that has virtual flash cards of some sort so that I can study the sybols and the names? Please help me if you can, I'd really appreciate it! :D

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

well they're all "natural", really....

However some of them have never been found lying around in planet Earth (probably because they're radioactive, and all decayed away millions of years before we started looking ;-)

All the ones in the periodic table up to 92 (uranium) have been found on Earth, apart from technetium (number 43)
Astatine (85) is pretty thin on the ground too, to all practical purposes...

After uranium, the elements from 93 onwards have all been made in labs, and some now exist is more abundance than the rarer naturally-occurring ones (eg the loads of lovely plutonium around now -)
We haven't found them naturally occurring on Earth but there could be plenty sitting around over on Betelguese or somewhere wink

The thing with the radioactive isotopes of elements is that they may be produced as the decay products of some other elements, last for a few seconds / hours / days / centuries ..... and then decay away again themselves.
So at any one time, there could well be some of them 4000 miles down in the bowels of the Earth, for 5 minutes, and then they're gone again....

Actually, naturally occuring plutonium does exist on earth. There is a mineral which contains beryllium and uranium in it. Due to the close proximity of the two elements, the neutrons generated by the radiation hitting the beryllium are absorbed by the uranium. Uranium plus Neutrons creates Plutonium. While this is not in any massive quantity that can be exploited, it does exist outside of what man has made.

Feline1's Reply to my question

All I can say is "wow.."
You...are...reallllly...smart, and might I add, HOTTT :P heh but sorry, getting off the topic, aren't I? Anyway, I don't really understand all the stuff you said..cuz..I'm not really, or wasn't really looking for a really scientific reply er w/e, but thank you so much anyway, I learned some new stuff..or alot :D I think..maybe hehe, but who cares? You're goodlooking, smart, and you replied to my question! What more could I ask for? 8) Thanks again

JDurg's Reply

Hey, thanks for trying to help me, but I didn't understand your reply much either, but it sounded really smart so I'm guessing you're really smart too! :D But, I'm sorry I wasted your time too, it's really not my fault..I'm not that old yet..so..yeah, but thanks again

Ahine!

Technetium and promethium are not found on earth, being too unstable, but they do exist in stars indicating that they are continuously being created by nucleosynthesis. All elements past 83 bismuth are radioactive and therefore unstable. Of these astatine (85) and francium (87) have never been found in weighable or visible quantities on earth.

Uranium (92) is traditionally regarded as the upper limit of "natural" elements, but many suppose that heavier radioactive elements fuel the core of the earth, and traces of neptunium (93) and plutonium (94) have been found in uranium deposits; the nature of these interactions make it likely that curium (96) also exists free in nature, but that has never been demonstrated; however, the Nigerian deposits of neodydmium isotopes suggests that a sustained nuclear reaction resulted from natural concentrations of fissionable uranium ores; that reaction presumbaly produced a number of transuranic elements which have subsequently decayed.

Ahine?

Feline 1, what does that mean :?:

Martin17's reply

Thanks for trying to help, but I'm really only looking for a simple answer, but I bet your answer was really good anyway. Thanks a ton for your time! :D

Nature and life, I'm afraid, rarely corresponds to simple answers. People who look for simple answers will end up with George Bush as their president (again). :evil:

yeah there's few things simpler and more final than violence, destruction and death.....

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.