Why do we say Positron not Positon?

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Assuming your right and the positron was the only particle to receive the additional r, it begs the question why do we say graviton not gravitron :lol:

Well, my guess would be that (as with pRoton vs pRotRon)

there is already an R in gravit-, so "gRaviton" sounds tidier
than "gRavitRon"

but really, who knows......... shock

another example of this thing is perahps "aluminium" versus "aluminum"
American speakers put a lot more "oooooh" in the pronunciation
of "Aluuuuuuu-mi-numb"
than British speakers do with "Alu-MIN-ium" (where the stress is on the MIN) ...... the extra stressed syllable in the British spelling compensates for the fact that we wouldn't pronounce such a strong "uuuuuuu" sound,
more just a short "uh" (almost an "ah")

Next week Slartibartfast presents a tour of rare earths in the Norwegian fjords.

Well, most of these eg lepton are neuter nouns reflecting the Greek notion that substances are inanimate, thus all those inert gasses neon 'new', argon 'inert', krypton 'hidden', xenon 'strange', niton 'shining' (old name for radon); lepton is a 'light-weight' particle; a meson is a 'middle-weight' one, and a baryon is the 'heavy-weight'; the proton is 'first' (protos is the masculine form, prote^ the feminine of the same adjective) the r of neutron is part of the stem and the neutron is the 'not-one-or-the-other' inanimate thing; however, electron is an entirely different construction.

It takes its name from e^lectron the Greek version of electrum with an instrumental suffix -tron the neuter counterpart of agentative -to^r 'animate one who does' as in geneto^r 'procreator'; electrum/e^lectron is the 'thing that shines' as arotron is 'the thing that plows' from the verb aroo 'I plow (or plough if you are in the UK)' and originally referred to either a natutally occurring alloy of Au and Ag for its pale shiny color or to amber for its shiny translucence. [The masculine e^lecto^r refers to the sun which the Greeks regarded as animate and masculine, though of course it is die Sonne and feminine.

Now our friend positron is neither a inanimate substance nor an old instrument; it is a blend, a merging of parts of a phrase to create a new word as smog is sm[oky f]og; a positron is a posi[tive elec]tron while a graviton, if it exists, would be an inanimate particle that mediates gravit-y; hence, the stem gravit- is supplies with the Greek neuter adjective suffix -on like all our other friends.

Well when you put it like that I suppose it makes sence. :D

SENSE!!!! lol

:oops: I always spell that rong.

Maybe "positron" was just one big typo as well, eh...? lol

I suppose it's possible.
You know I just realized this whole topic is pointless.....
....It [b]should[/b] be anti-electron not positon or positron.
I should have asked "why do we say positron not anti-electron?"

Yeah but why did we ever even decide that electrons were "negative"
and protons (and positrons) were "positve"?

It's just arbitrary nomencalture.

Why, I hear that in *some* crazy countries, they even drive on the right! lol

:shock: Surely you cant be serious they'd hit the oncoming traffic. :wink:

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.