how to seperate gold particles solube in mercury?

Hi, Iam Ade. as we all know that gold is soluble in mercury/Hg, my question is how is the best way to seperate them or purilize the gold out the mercury without losing the mercury??. i dont mean big solid gold , but particle of gold that solube in mercury. Some people burn them :). since iam in traditional gold mining industry please if anyonw can help immidiatly. thanks :?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

They are definitely have

They are definitely have different compound, but it can be treated with same solutions. Just be careful of what you use, it can be bad for the skin.

Mercury is a heavy metal, and

Mercury is a heavy metal, and it can hardly react with other material.
It's difficult to separate soluble gold particles from mercury.

All I'll say to begin with is - remember that mercury is EXTREMELY TOXIC!
- before you do anything with it, make sure you know how to protect yourself from exposure,
and ensure that no mercury can escape into the environment either.

Actually, ar-senic, fluorine, thallium, phosphorus, bromine and chlorine are more toxic than mercury is. Mercury isn't all that acutely toxic, but it is quite chronically toxic. If a mercury thermometer breaks and you spill the contents on you, unless you let it soak into your clothing and never wash it, you really have nothing to worry about. Elemental mercury doesn't even come close to mercury contained in organic and ionic compounds. (Even then, unless the mercury compound is soluble in your body, it's not that toxic. You can go into a drug store and get a bottle of Merbromin which is a mercury based disinfectant). Chronically, elemental mercury can be a problem. This is because the little amounts build up in your body where bacteria and your immune system convert it to an organic compound which is easily absorbed into your system.

Acutely speaking, if you are using mercury make sure you do that on a non-absorbant surface with a great amount of powdered sulfur in the area. If mercury spills, it's a royal bitch to clean up. Having powdered sulfur is a life saver because it will absorb into the mercury and prevent it from vaporizing into the air around you. If you are only going to be using this mercury extraction technique once, then you really just need a well ventilated area and you need to make sure you aren't downwind from the mercury. If this is something that you'll be doing multiple times, then you should invest in a respiration system designed to handle mercury.

Now don't take this post as me saying that mercury is nothing to worry about and that you can go take a bath in it. It is toxic and not something to be toyed around with, but there are elements and compounds which are far, far, far, far, far more toxic than mercury.

Yeah but if it's being used in mining, the consequences can be ecologically catastrophic... it's happened in the past....

True. After re-reading his post, I see that it's not for a small one-time process. Though with major industrial gold mining, I'd be far more concerned with the vast amounts of cyanide that are used.

Traditionally, the Hg is driven off in a retort and the Hg vapor collected for reuse, but not that Hg is quite toxic; true it isn't as fast acting as cyanide, but it destroys brain cells. Mad as a hatter refers to the mediaeval felt makers whose poisoning from Hg resulted in madness; if you have not actually used Hg as a gold collector, then the other ways are the cyanide process in which KCN or NaCN solutions in the presence of O2 dissolve gold as potassium (or sodium) aurocyanide. Powdered Zn is then added to precipitate the Au.

8KCN + 2O2 + 4Au > 4KAu(CN)2 + 4KOH
Zn + KAu(CN)2 > KZn(CN)2 + Au

Care must be taken that the KCN does not come in contact with acids lest it produce cyanic acid, a poisonous volatile. The reaction H2SO4 + 2KCN > K2SO4 + 2HCN has been successfully used in California gas chambers for years. Alternately, Au reacts in the presence of Cl2 and moisture, usually in the form of aqua regia, but a moist Cl2 atmosphere works as well. The AuCl3 or chlorauric acid can then be treated with ferrous sulfate to precipitate Au. NB dissolved Au is a golden yellow color, the presence of Cu in the solution gives a deep green color; when strating with a green solution, some smelters will redissolve the Au in aqua regia and precipitate until the solution is yellow to assure purity.

If I recall correctly, the author is Guida and the book is the Metallurgy of Gold. All of these processes are nasty, ie involve playing with some extremely unattractive compounds (well unpleasant, if your skin comes in contact with AuCl3 in the presence of NO3- Au will be precipitated in your skin, it is a rather attractive purple color, much nicer than the black deposits of Ag caused by contact with lunar caustic (AgNO3), but do take the term caustic seriously in any event. Of the three, I thing Hg is the most unpleasant because elemental Hg remains; miners who have been poisoned are sometimes put in a sauna bath and literally sweat out the Hg, which by that time has destroyed brain tissue resulting in a pet brain scan that looks eerily like Alzheimer's. HCN, while a fast acting poison (a handful of cherry pits contain a lethal dose), is after all an organic compound and will break down over time. Though those worried about the ozone layer might disagree, I would say that the chlorine process is the least hazardous.
Proceed at your own risk. :roll:

That's actually how it is

That's actually how it is buddy. I gained an additional info by your reply, so thanks a lot. Surely, this would be very useful for everyone in this thread. Thumbs up!

[url=http://shopithon.com]cheapest jordans online[/url]

You may try dipping the solution into concentrated bleach. Gold and mercury form different solid compounds. The sort them out and heat them seperately to return them into the state of pure metal.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.