how many bonds are in the world

how many bond are in the world ? such as colvant bond ,ionic bond , metallic bond .what else? can someone tell me please? :wink:

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

lol lots! lol

One quasi-philosphical (epistemological?) point - there's not actually really any such thing as a "bond" - it's just a little mental picture we think of to explain how things behave - there aren't really little lines joining the atoms...
It makes it easier to think about if we say "oh, that's a single bond" and "that's a double bond" but in "reality" (ahem), there's just loads of fuzzy electron clouds swarming around, and they're a bit thicker in some places than others -)

I suppose one place to start would be to work out the mass of the earth... and then you could use Avogadro's Number to work out how many atoms there are (making a few guesses as to which elements most of the atoms were)...... then you'd be able to guesstimate how many bonds those atoms formed.

So - how do we work out the mass of planet Earth?
(I know there's figures for it we could go an look up -
but how did they work them out in the first place? Did they have an extremely large set of bathroom scales? -)
Is it something to do with measuring orbits of the moon/sun/ etc?
Or did we work out the earth's size (volume) and somehow guesstimate it's density? {how bouncy earthquakes are...? } and thus the mass?

I have no clue, it's usually physicists and geologists who make these things up ;-)

lol

Hah hah, i just realised that you probably meant
"how many different TYPES of bonds are there?" lol

I'd still like to know how many bonds there are in the whole world though lol

At the end of the day,
there's still no such thing as bonds, really ;-)
There's just positive nuclei and negative electrons,
and electrodynamic forces between them.
And, erm, "spin". Or sthg.
(I've never liked quantum mechanics much, it was mostly just made up by Star Trek fans if you ask me ;-)

oh

oh i know what you meant.You meant that all atoms are bonded by electrodynamic force, bond is just a method of electrodynamic

Yes - we humans like to categorize things into nice neat labels
like "ionic" or "covalent", but some molecules are more complicated
and are not easily explained by definitions like these.

Boron-hydrogen compounds, for instance -
they're a nightmare ;0)

you could prob add intermolecular forces if you're going to open out the definition of a bond as these forces affect the stability of compounds if they exibit forces such as H-bonding

The bonding between 2 specific atoms can only be 'metallic', 'covalent', or 'ionic'. However many names came out from the complexes of these. Such as 'hydrogen bond' is the 'ionized covalents' involvng Hydrogen.

"The bonding between 2 specific atoms can only be 'metallic', 'covalent', or 'ionic'. "

Deryk, I do not agree with you here.
These three terms may be useful for teaching in a textbook,
but in reality there is just a continuum of "bonding types" -
all that is really changing is where the electron density lies.
When we say "ionic bonding", we mean the electron density is all pulled over near the "anion"..... in covalent bonding, it is more localised midway between the atoms,
in metallic bonding, the electrons are all smeared all over in a big mess -)

HAHA, ya like the partly covalent, partly ionic, partly metallically bonded materials I work with. There is no clear cut line between the 3. There are very few "usefull" materials that are 100% ionic, 100% covalent, or 100% metallic. Again, these terms are just [b]loosely[/b] used to describe the nature of the electrons in a crystal.

Even steels gain their strength from ionically/covalently bonded second phases such as Fe,W,V,Mo carbides, so you can't point at a steel beam and say "thats 100% metallic bonding".

However, to answer your question, there are 3 different types of bonds between elements and you've named them all. 4 if you count the weak hydrogen bonds, though I don't know much about H - bonding

I do believe I am correct in saying that *everything* we are taught at school/college/university is one big lie.

The thing is, does [i]anybody[/i] actually know any truth?

Nope, not even the atom himself. The electrons keep fooling around.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.