Why does ice float on water?

I am currently studying about the topic water and am a bit confused about the properties of water.

Can anyone explain to me y ice floats on water?

I know this gota do with density but i don't understand.
And i need to know this before we move on to more water properties. I do not know much of water properties because i am only a beginner so please don't make the explanation complicated.

I would appreciate it if anyone helps,
Thank you.

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Well, ask yourself - what else floats on water...??

Apples!
Gravy!
Very Small Rocks!
Churches!
.......and - a *DUCK*!!!

Therefore, logically,
water must be made out of wood.
And, if it weighs the same as a duck, then..........

BURRRRRRRN IT!!!!!!

Having found this holy grail,
let us get back to the density
things which are less dense float on top of things which are more dense.

Thus, the planet Saturn would float in your bath (if it was big enough) because Saturn is less dense than bathwater.
And in just the same way, ice tends to float on top of water. Because ice is less dense than water.

What being 'less dense' actually means is that the molecules in ice are
further apart than the molecules in water.

This is unusual, as normally, molecules in a solid are closer together than in the liquid.

However, in ice, the crystal structure is unusually openly spaced, due to...... HYDROGEN BONDING.

Hurrah!

Ohhhhh thx
I got the density part.

Now can u explain hydrogen bonding? plz

well, "hyrogren bonding" is a special type of INTER-MOLECULAR bonding.
(that is, a bonding that takes places *between* separate molecules,
not inside them).

As you probably know, a hydrogen atom is very very small,
and consists of only 1 proton and 1 electron.

When hydrogen is covalently bonded in a molecule, to a very electronegative atom (that is, an atom which likes to grab electrons in a rather agressive manner, like oxygen or fluorine), think what happens

(taking H2O as an example) - there's a "shared pair" of electrons between each hydrogen and the oxygen. But oxygen is rather selfish and greedy and pulls the electrons over much closer to itself, leaving the poor little hydrogen proton rather exposed -(

This means, on the H2O water molecule, you have an O atom in the middle, with two exposed +ve charges (H nuclei - protons) stuck onto it like a pair of beady eyes.

These +ve charges will attact negative charges in the vicinity....
.....and of course, in the vicinity will be lots of other water molecules.

Now on one side of the O atom in H2O, there's a pair of H's....
.....on the back side, there's two "lone pairs" of electrons.......which are rather negative.

.....so, what happens is that the +ve exposed hydrogens on the front one water molecule attract the -ve lone pairs on the back of another water molecule. This is called a "hydrogen bond" between the water molecules.

Hope that is understandable - it would be easier to explain with some pictures, showing in 3dimensions where the electrons and hydrogens are...

Wow!
Thank you so much

floating rocks

[quote]Apples!
Gravy!
Very Small Rocks[/quote]

In all my years on this planet i don't think ive ever seen a floating rock.
Aside from the normal exceptions

I suggest you watch "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

I have many rocks that can float. I actually have a nice collection of these exceptions. :)

I see them all the time. Of course, I live about 40 miles from Mt. St. Helens and 10 from Mt. Rainier....

also some ice is full of air bubble which is why some ice is more boyant than other ice.

Anythin' that can float on water must be lighter than water ... :D

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.