about ionic bond

when i am learning about ionic bond,i find that something it formula is 2[Cl]- something is Cl[size=7]2[/size] can anyone explain to me why?
thanks

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Cl- means chloride anions

Cl2 is chlorine molecules (two atoms of chlorine with a covalent bond between them)

Are all the gases diatomic? or group VII diatomic?
and is that y they occur as Cl2, O2, Fl2 ...

No, all gasses are certainly not diatomic!!

Whether or not a gas is diatomic just depends on the relative energies/stabilities of the bonds between the atoms.

For hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine..... to give some common examples, diatomic molecules are thermodynamically the most stable.

However for instance noble gasses like helium, neon, argon, krypton.....
....are most stable as monatomic gasses.

I seem to remember that some metals for diatomic vapours if you heat them enough...... gallium, perhaps?

Re: about ionic bond

[quote="noidea"]when i am learning about ionic bond,i find that something it formula is 2[Cl]- something is Cl[size=7]2[/size] can anyone explain to me why?
thanks[/quote]

ok its <somethingsomething> + Cl<little2here> right?
that is because the Chlorine is diatomic
this means that whenever Chlorine is bye itself
(not with another element) there will be a 2 after it
this means that One Chlorine atom bonded with another
thus forming the diatomic gas Cl<little2>

Well does that mean that natural element of CL is diatomic?

Yes, chlorine is diatomic molecule (Cl2).

[quote="Minny"]Well does that mean that natural element of CL is diatomic?[/quote]

yes

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.