How to find out about Induim

I am trying to find out how pure the half bar of Indium that I have is. The only thing that I know about it is that it came from the Indium Corp of America. It weighs any where from 2lbs to 3lbs I would say closer to 3 but not sure. If anyone could help me that would be great'

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Archimedes had the same

Archimedes had the same problem with a gold crown; thought the matter over for a long time, was getting ready to get into the baths and EUREKA the solution came to him.

Hello I am

Hello I am thomsondebroglie,last weekend I visited a site which is good for Induim,high purity metals,AHP (American High Purity) Materials Inc. is a leading producer of high purity specialty metals and compounds.
For details visit Ahpmat.com

cliffmiller's picture

Indium production and usage

Indium production and usage has been growing consistently since the millennium – it used to be around 400 to 500 tonnes a year, but now it is over 1,000 tonnes. The reason? Well, in all probability you are reading these words on a PC, tablet, or even a mobile phone – nearly all of which have back-lit screens coated with indium-tin oxide (ITO).

Uses of Indium
Very few people in the developed world and developing countries do not have access to one of these devices, so the only way is up, as far as indium usage is concerned. It wasn’t always this way: indium was used by the US in the Second World War in LEDs (light-emitting diodes). But it was not until the late-1980s and early-1990s, that LCD (liquid crystal display), and, eventually, touch, screens took off.

As the key prerequisite for these is a clear, transparent screen, that’s where ITO coatings came in – now this sector accounts for the bulk of global consumption, although indium also has a role to play in low-melting point alloys and some lead-free soldering applications.

It is easy to see that indium is a growing market, as the upgrades for computers, phones and tablets are almost as frequent as replica sports kits, which is yearly. There will always be geeks who feel lost if they don’t have the latest version of these gadgets.

So availability is crucial for indium, and here there may well be challenges in the future. The metal is rarely mined on a primary level – it is a by-product of zinc ore refining, so the amount generated can be haphazard. China is the world’s top producer of indium at around 300 tonnes a year, but this level is being challenged by the closure of some zinc mines in the country.

Looking at current resources, there is enough indium to last only around 20 years. It’s a safe bet that the ITO-based screen market will not go away, so there will be an urgent need for recycling. Already, this sector provides over 50 percent of annual availability, and more will be needed.

Luckily, recycling operations are becoming more mature and advanced, and able to take advantage of the growing stockpile of spent and used units that will form the pipeline. That’s the upside of geek-driven offtake – there will always be plenty of unwanted devices out back into the system.

That’s just as well, because indium has a bit of form when it comes to prices and volatility. Up to the early past of the of the 2000s thee price was unexciting and in 2002 was around $65 per kilo. That’s when French company Metaleurop closed its zinc refinery on the basis of low primary zinc prices.

That refinery, however, was responsible for around 20 percent of global indium needs and it closed down at a time when the ITO market was expanding rapidly. The result was a price explosion, which elevated indium to $1,000 by 2005 – or one million dollars a tonne.

It is now around half that level, but even if it were to go back to those exalted heights it won’t make much difference to the market for ITO-based devices, as indium only accounts for 0.5 percent of the total unit costs, or a few pence on an HD screen, which is not much of a deterrent. Indium is safe, too, on quality grounds. It is possible to substitute indium with zinc, but the display will be murky – and who wants that?
More content at gbridal.com

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.