why no names for groups III and IV ?

Yes but how come, over all these decades,
no-one ever thought up a name for the boron
or carbon groups in the periodic table?

we got alkali metals, alkaline earth metals,
pnictides, chalcogenides, halogens, noble gasses....
....why no names for III and IV?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

If you do mean IUPAC groups

If you do mean IUPAC groups 13 and 14, then 14 is rather easy. All form tetravalent compounds, the first three are semiconductors and form hard allotropes and compounds. They could be called semiconductor elements or adamantines (from Gk ἀδαμάντινοc 'hard' < ἀδάμαc, ἀδάμαντοc 'an old name for diamond'). Crystaline carbon, silicon, and germanium are all hard, brittle materials and even tin gives a characteristic 'cry' because of its internal crystal alignment.

A name for group group 13 is more problematic. All except aluminum have a prominent blue or green line in their spectra, but the Greek word for 'blue', κύανοc has already been employed as cyanogen for the compound CN, the precursor of hydrocyanic acid, HCN. It is perhaps interesting to note that the earliest compounds of these elements, borax and alum, were valued for their desiccating properties and as astringents (to this day pickle makers add alum [or grape leaves which naturally contain aluminum compounds] to keep the pickles crunchy). I would suggest xerogens for this property.

The felineogens sounds fine

The felineogens sounds fine to me. I suspect that the original question refers to Groups 13 and 14 - the boron and carbon groups.

dogs for sale

There just broadly called early transition metals.

[quote="UCB Mitch"]There just broadly called early transition metals.[/quote]

Possibly not as III and IV is ambiguous. I suspect that the original question refers to Groups 13 and 14 - the boron and carbon groups?

You suspect correctly - the big giveaway clue was when I typed "the boron and carbon groups" :wink:

(Sorry, I still tend to prefer auld Mendelev's roman numeral group numbers than all this IUPAC business ;-)

Perhaps it's just cos they frankly don't have all that much in common with each other?

Feline go ahead and make a name for them. The felineogens sounds fine to me. :D

new name

why not the tricogens and tetrogens easy and understandable, at least for the first few periods. :lol:

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.