The Alternative Periodic Table

Besides traditional periodic table there are hundreds of alternative formulations. However, the most notable alternative is Left Step Periodic Table (LSPT), proposed by Charles Janet in 1928. Recent article in Foundations of Chemistry journal entitled "Charles Janet: unrecognized genius of the periodic system" by Oxford professor Dr. Philip Stewart is in many respects the first complete account of incredible discoveries made by the author of LSPT. One of them, for example, discovery of n+l rule at least 6 years before the Madelung! The article also discusses the late improvement of the LSPT: ADOMAH PT that can be found at [url]www.perfectperiodictable.com[/url] that is built strictly in accordance with electron configurations. I believe, that this alternative formulation of the periodic system is in many respects superior than the current IUPAC standard.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I saw this relation more

I saw this relation more than 30 years ago, while a young undergraduate chemistry student- nobody was really interested in new graphic representations of the periodic table at the time, so I never published. But my notes exist, as do references on the WWW:

http://cfpm.org/~majordom/memetics/2000/3042.html

Jess Tauber
phonosemantics@earthlink.net

I think this idea has been

I think this idea has been here for long. Its just hasnt been recognised yet, because its more complex and students will just have a hard time understanding this.

The idea of Left Step PT has

The idea of Left Step PT has been around since late 1920's, but the idea of tetrahedral PT that is the basis for ADOMAH PT has not been around for long. It is true that Jess Tauber described (with words) the tetrahedral concept of the Periodic System at http://cfpm.org/~majordom/memetics/2000/3042.html few years before me and I believe him that he noticed it 30 years ago, but, as you can see it for yourself at www.PerfectPeriodicTable.com, there is more to it.
After all, the Periodic Table is a depiction of the Periodic System and it has to be presented as an image. Since you have stated that the idea has been around for a long time, it would be helpful if you could refer us to a source that would support such claim.

I disagree with you in regard to its complexity also. When it comes to writing electron configurations it is certainly more clear than the traditional depiction as demonstrated at www.PerfectPeriodicTable.com/userguide.

Valery Tsimmerman.

I also disagree with you in

I also disagree with you in regard to its complexity also. When it comes to writing electron configurations it is certainly more clear than the traditional depiction as demonstrated at www.PerfectPeriodicTable.com/userguide.

SEO Miami

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.