Seperation of mixtures

1) A mixture of copper sulphate crystals and chalk powder can be seperated by following several processes. The correct order of these processes is
a) filtration, solution, evaporation
b) evaporation, filtration, solution
c) solution, filtration, evaporation
d) solution, evaporation, filtration

2) Describe a simple experiment to seperate a mixture of sand, sodium chloride and iodine.

3i ) In the apparatus used for the distillation of sea water, why does the water go in at the bottom of the condenser and out at the top and not the other way round?
ii) Why are porcelain chips added to the round bottomed flask before being heated?

4) Describe an experiment to show how a mixture of alcohol and water can be seperated.

er..I know that's alot of questions...could anyone hepl me with them? :?:

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

4.) Distillation

2) You can seperate iodine by using sublimation. Then you put NaCl and sand into the water; NaCl will dissolve, sand won` t. Seperate sand by filtration. When you seperate sand, you will have just NaCl dissolved into the water- distil it. :D

oohhh Thank you for your help. Do you know the solutions to the other questions?

Do you have any ideas on how to solve them?

I suppose so...for question one I think the answer is (c) but I'm not sure....

sounds right to me

Re: Seperation of mixtures

[quote="Daily Prophetess"]1) A mixture of copper sulphate crystals and chalk powder can be seperated by following several processes. The correct order of these processes is
a) filtration, solution, evaporation
b) evaporation, filtration, solution
c) solution, filtration, evaporation
d) solution, evaporation, filtration

Answer c) solution to dissolve CuSO4, filtration to separate CaCO3 and evaporation to recrystalize the CuSO4

2) Describe a simple experiment to seperate a mixture of sand, sodium chloride and iodine.

I would put the mixture in a funnel with filter paper and pour CCl4 through the filter; this would dissolve the I2 giving a purple solute. Pour that into a watchglass and the CCl4 will evaporate leaving I2 crystals. Then pour H2O through the filter and collect the salt water, which can be evaporated more slowly and the SiO2 will be left in the filter.

3i ) In the apparatus used for the distillation of sea water, why does the water go in at the bottom of the condenser and out at the top and not the other way round?
ii) Why are porcelain chips added to the round bottomed flask before being heated?

Because salt water is heavier than fresh water, which will rise to the surface.

4) Describe an experiment to show how a mixture of alcohol and water can be seperated.

Heat the mixture in a florence flask within a water bath at 65 C, allow the vapor to pass through a pyrex glass tube or condensing tube collecting the distilled alcohol in a glass container. Do not use neoprene stoppers or vinyl tubing. NB this assumes that the alcohol is methanol or ethanol; if it is glycerol, GENTLY pour concentrated sulfuric acid into the mixture, allowing it to settle at the bottom and carefully decant the upper layer of glycerol from the solute of acid and water. If the alcohol is vinyl, pour the mixture into a funnel with filter paper and allow the water to run through leaving the solid vinyl in the filter paper.
er..I know that's alot of questions...could anyone hepl me with them? :?:[/quote][color=red][/color]

wow thank youuuuu so much martin...

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.