Elements 56 and 57

Hi there, I am new to the group and look forward to learning. I was reading about the periodic table and trying to figure if there are different tables. I read the Element 56 was Lanthium and 57 was Cerium. Could this be correct or a mistake. The document was quite old.

Also is there a formula to convert the F and C melting and boiling point to the Kelvin scale?

Kindest regards,
Mary.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I think it must be a

I think it must be a misprint; my earliest periodic chart with atomic numbers is from 1925, and lanthanum (not lanthium) is correctly given as 57 and cerium is 58 while barium holds the position 56; moreover, in his version of the periodic chart before atomic numbers, Mendeleev, giving only atomic weights, still consistently gives the order as barium, lanthanum, and cerium, although he mistakenly placed cerium in his group IV rather than as an f-block appendix to group III as we do now.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.