Boiling points

Hello

I would like to ask why H2S's boiling point is higher than HCl's.

Thanks

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Like H2O, H2S has an angle

Like H2O, H2S has an angle and is polarized, so while the H is attracted to the S, little bits of H2S or H2O have positively or negatively charged sides and can be attracted to other couples as well, so like buddies on the track team all the H2S couples stick together; therefore, their eletromagnetic mutual attraction requires extra energy to separate them. HCl is very standoffish, the H being tightly attracted to Cl and Cl to the H so like a cheerleader and football player they form a sosh-couple, they ignore just about everybody else on campus, so its very easy for them to go off on their own.

Thanks for the reply. I

Thanks for the reply. I understand most of your reply but i still don't understand why HCl is more "standoffish" than H2S. What is the difference in their chemical properties that causes this "standoffish" effect?

Thanks

The geometry of the molecule

The geometry of the molecule means that it doesn't have as great a difference in electric charge. In HCl one end is + and the other is -, but the angle of H2O or H2S creates

...........O=............................S=
....+H......H+..........and.......+H........H+

so that one side is much stronger than the other; it is really the geometry of the bond angle in H2O and H2S that accounts for their behavior.

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.