Writer seeks answers about calcium

Hello!
As a science fiction writer, I browse many disciplines of knowledge, but need help from experts in all. My current book premises a planet without calcium. Is that possible? Would people be able to manufacture synthetic enzymes to trick the parathyroid into doing its work? What would this look like? Could life go on?
Thanks for any answers, however far out and wild! mrgreen

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Ca-less planet

I suppose anything is possible but it is not very plausible; with an atomic number of 20 and weight of forty calcium is one of the most common elements in the universe because of the nature of nucleo-synthesis; calcium in bones is readily replaced by other group 2 elements (strontium, barium and radium for example. One of the problems with nuclear test is that Sr-90 was a by-product which would settle in bones and cause long-term exposure to radiation; in the 30's a preparation of RaOH the radium analog of lime-water (CaOH --once routinely recommended for infants to add Ca to their bones) was sold as a longevity treatment. In the fifties the sole survivor was still being investigated; he would come in for xrays and lie on the film; the radium in his bone exposed the film) I would think that a novel about one of the rarer elements would be more interesting; one might note that Fe Ni and Co are about equivalent in chemistry but distributed differently in the universe; on earth Fe is common and basis of blood, but a similar compound with Co would be possible, on earth,Co is found in B-12; magnesium (a lighter analog of calcium) is rarer but vital to plants; Cu is rarer but chemically more inert than iron but also the basis of the green blood of molluscs; a world in which Cu or Au were nutritionally vital might be interesting, but I think you would have to spend too much time justifying the absence of calcium on a planet. The absence of heavier metals or a super abundance of lighter volatiles like Li, Be Al etc. could be accounted for by assuming a collision in which the heavy interior was trapped as on earth but the lighter crust settle with the second body as in the moon.

How about a unknown protein?

Thanks for taking time to reply. I thought a long time about using calcium last night, and agree it won't work -- too vital. I did not know it was assumed to be widespread in the universe, thanks for the info.
I wonder if making an addition to the planet's chemistry would work, such as a large protein that would be found in all vegetation, indigestible to humans, that would provoke a violent allergic reaction?
Could anyone help me in picturing this protein or like substance?
Then my premise would still work, that the colonists must synthesize and ingest enzymes daily. wink

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.