Would u believe 'Moles'...!

Good Morning Gentlemen...
I have a very big problem with 'Moles' in my Garden...

I do not wish to use traps etc, but I am aware that moles don't like bad smells...!

Thus, I am trying to confirm my thoughts that Sulphur has a fairly nautious smell...?

Whether just on its own or whether this is when mixed with water, I am not sure, and this is also a question...?

But, I figure that if I am right, then I should be able to use small quantities down their burrows nearest the house and quietly drive them away...!

My worry is that using Sulphur may not be good for the soil/ground...?

I should just say, that this morning on looking, there were about 30 or more hills on each side of the house, the area being about 1.5 hectares - around 4 acres...!

I wonder if anyone could be kind enough to confirm my thoughts, or alternatively suggest something else that might do the trick...?

I have also looked at the site and picked up some info on Hydrogen sulfide (H2S)...! & Sulfur Dioxide (SO2)...!

Thank you all for your time

Lou
[/u]

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I think the stinky sulfur smell comes from H2S. It would be a better idea to throw rotten eggs into their burrows if you want to stink them out. I have heard that putting human hair in the holes would also frighten them, but I'm not sure about the last one.

[quote="UCB Mitch"]I think the stinky sulfur smell comes from H2S. It would be a better idea to throw rotten eggs into their burrows if you want to stink them out. I have heard that putting human hair in the holes would also frighten them, but I'm not sure about the last one.[/quote]

it definately is the cause of the smell. it is one of our biggest worries here and at many other mines. H2S at high concentrations deadens you to its own smell. and shortly there after you drown as your body attempts to dilute the hydrosulfuric and hyposulfuric acid that forms in your lungs. so be carefull. adding sulfur to water can mke sulfuric acid which wil try to meet an equilibrium with the atmospher giving of H2S if you breath in enough the equilibrium goes the opposite direction forming acid with the water in your lungs killing you. but then that would take alot of sulfur and you would hve to stick your head in the same bucket to get the dangerous levels we can hit in gas pockets. so you should be safe unless you were indeed planing on stickin your head in the bucket.

I think you should leave the moles alone.

Moles are nice little mammals who don't go around starting wars,
making weapons of mass destruction or destroying the ecosystem of planet Earth.

LAY OFF 'EM! -O

Well, unless you really heat up the water or add some other things to it, sulfur will not react with water. If it did, there would be no sulfur available for mining and you'd never find it free in nature. In mines and volcanic areas, the nasty sulfur odor comes from the breakdown of organic molecules and/or the bubbling out from petrol pockets etc. etc.

Burning sulfur produces sulfur dioxide, which is also caustic and damaging to the lungs just like hydrogen sulfide. There are commercial products to kill or discourage moles, but before you do this remember that the moles are there only because there is something for them to eat; if you get rid of the moles, you may well find yourself overrun by earthworms, beetles, cockroaches or whatever out little blind friends are feasting on.

The cure may be worse than the condition; if the moles become too numerous, the foxes will take care of them.

Foxes ROCK!!!! twisted

Try here:-
http://www.critter-repellent.com/mole/how-to-get-rid-of-moles-in-yard.php

Mols

[color=red]I understand your predicament as my mother has a similar one. But, I feel that you should say vermin or mammal problem instead of mole.
This is a science website and since chemistry is a science when you say mole, i think of mole as in Avagodro's number. So.... that's all I had to say. I know that it was unintentional but just be mindful.

That's all, thanks,
:wink:
Lauren[/color]

Very probably you have to ask help from gardeners, not scientists.

I agree with Deryck. :wink:

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.