Strange equation

Hello to everyone!

I have been given science homework to work out the formulae of some equations. All the questions make sense and are fairly easy except for this one:

Manganese II chloride + sodium hydroxide = manganese II sulphide + ammonium chloride

I have to write the correct formulae for it then balance it but, I think it does not make sense , where did the sulphur come from?? and the nitrogen in the ammonium chloride!? Does the question make sense to you? or am I right?

Please help, it has really confused me!

Thankyou

Tags:

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

not possible

Most likely you copied it down wrong or the teacher made a mistake. As far as i know, unless your breaking down atoms, is there a way for you to end up with sulfur when you started off without it. Check the equation with a friend or the teacher because something is wrong. As for the nitrogen in the Ammonium Chloride i don't know where in the world that came from...
:?:

The teacher must have made a mistake, I have copied it out exactly as it is on the question sheet. :?

[quote]As far as i know, unless your breaking down atoms, is there a way for you to end up with sulfur when you started off without it.[/quote]

What do you mean by breaking down atoms? doesnt it have to be radioactive or something?

Thanks

sorry for the confusion

exactly, just trying to make a point that something is wrong with you equation. Sorry for the confusion. Check with your teacher because something is wrong.

It was probably Manganese (II) Sulfide

It was a mistake, Out of intrest, what do you think the equation should have been?

Thanks

I guess, I wasn't right?

WebElements: the periodic table on the WWW [http://www.webelements.com/]

Copyright 1993-20010 Mark Winter [The University of Sheffield and WebElements Ltd, UK]. All rights reserved.